Our love affair with food is almost palpable. When dining in our restaurant or on our verandah, you are guaranteed a unique experience.
With the best view in Plett, our talented Chef Lincoln Daries creates wonderful dishes using the freshest ingredients taken directly from our very own ‘la Food Forest’. We plan to share his recipes with guests and friends of la Vista, so follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
We started to transform our natural forest area on the sun-facing north slope into an edible permaculture food forest for guests and staff. We are excited to report that our seasonal herbs, fruit and vegetables have transformed our indigenous natural forest into an edible permaculture food forest for guests and staff.
We understand the need and importance to maintain a healthy immune system. We are passing on healthy options to our guests and are confident you will find Chef Lincoln’s new recipes irresistible. Read more about South Africa’s favourite playground and get ready to enjoy your stay with us at la Vista and the mouthwatering recipes shared by Chef Lincoln.
GARDEN GREEN SANDWICH WITH SMOKED MUSSELS AND POACHED EGGS
This is a la Vista favorite with ingredients from our la Food Forest, served on freshly baked bread rolls with a special taste from the sea.
From the Food Forest:
- Leafy greens
- Red chili
- Spinach (wilted with butter)
- Bread rolls (freshly baked in-house; see recipe below)
- Free-range eggs
- Smoked mussels and oysters in cotton seed oil
Bread dough to make the sandwich rolls
- 600g white flour
- 10g yeast
- 5g salt
- 250g luke-warm water
- 50g sunflower oil
Bread dough step-by-step
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Knead the dough by hand on a generously floured surface until light and fluffy for approximately 10 – 15 minutes. Dough must not stick.
- Leave to rise in a covered container for approximately 2 – 3 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 Celsius. Fill an oven dish halfway with hot boiling water and place on the bottom oven rack to create steam.
- Cut your dough to the desir3ed size using a knife, or make rustic balls using an ice cream scoop. Place them on a prepared oven tray and brush lightly with egg yolk.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown.
Green Garden Sandwich step-by-step
- Cut the roll in half and spread both sides lightly with butter or you spread of choice.
- Chop the garlic and spread on both sides of the roll.
- Poach the free-range organic egg (to your liking).
- Lightly sauté the spinach and rocket with a small knob of butter.
- Top one side of the roll with the smoked mussels and oysters in cotton seed oil, additional chopped garlic, freshly sautéed spinach and rocket. Top with the poached egg and serve.